Thursday, November 20, 2008

Motivation!!!

Sometimes we want to improve the state of the things but ends up in a vain attempt. There are lot of factors that contributes to this. Not much of help from peers, micro-mgmt from top-level, lack of self-motivation, lack of will to take the ownership/leadership are things which I feel are the key factors that determine the performance of an employee.
Of course things should also be communicated in a better manner!! And guys should be motivated every now and then!! I always wonder if I ever learn the definition of "motivation" :( But what's motivation!! Is it pushing people to get the chores done!! Or is it trying to extract "more" from someone!! What's "more"? How much is that? If we can't even get the basic things done, can we even/ever get to the extent of extracting "more". I doubt!! But why should we even "motivate"? If someone is paid for and expected to do certain things by following certain well-established practices, do we additionally need to "push" them also? If the answer is "yes", I hate being a manager.
For me "motivation" means a positive way of influencing peers by setting some high standards!! Actions but not the words should speak.!!
Stopping here as I get irritated more and more to work when I think of these things!!

Sigh!!!
Sujay